Wednesday, February 5, 2014

My "Deer" God Spot

The space in which I choose to have my devotion/quiet time is radically important for my focus..…evidently. I didn’t realize how important “my spot” was to the quality and satisfaction of my God time until I moved to a new home.  For 17 years, I looked forward to settling in at the island in my kitchen facing the open great room and back deck with bird feeders and flowers and a view of the great outdoors.  I felt a peace in “my spot”.  More importantly, I could focus on God and His Word and hear him speak through nature.  In my new home, I tried several spots in search of “my spot”.  I tried my cute covered brick patio, but it was too hot or cold or buggy or loud with the AC unit right next to it.  I tried the couch, but I was too comfy, and I would drift off mentally.  Plus, it didn’t feel special since I watched TV from there nightly.  I tried the desk in my office because it had windows floor to ceiling, but it felt like work – somehow less personal or intimate.  At last, I have landed back in the kitchen.  Since I have no island, I sit at the table facing my bay window with a bird feeder, bird bath, swing, flowers and woods.  Just out of view stands an apple tree.  Because of the all the apples on the ground (and sunflower seeds in the bird feeder, and clover and grass on the ground), I have animals to watch most days and feel God again in “my spot”.  At first, I only had birds, squirrels and chipmunks to watch.  Then I had a ground hog, a possum, a fox, bunnies, cats and, at this time of year, DEER.  Deer love apples!  How convenient for me.  I have bucks and doe at least twice a week at my quiet time.  Now, each morning, I get my cup of coffee, Bible and journal and settle into my “Deer, God Spot” for my most peaceful time of the day!  I love my new spot.  Where’s yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment

comments